Clogh Oughter castle Exhibition Design
A Norman castle, Clogh Oughter was built on a crannog about 1220, and was in O’Reilly hands for centuries. It was re-edified between 1609 and 1620 as part of the Plantation of Ulster but was captured by the rebels in 1641 and used to hold important prisoners, such as Bishop Bedell. Owen Roe O’Neill, the great Irish military commander, died at Clogh Oughter in 1649.
It was the last stronghold in Ireland to hold out against the Cromwellians until its commander, Philip Mac Hugh O’Reilly, was forced, after artillery bombardment, to yield in April 1653. An archaeological excavation, carried out in 1987 as part of the conservation of the castle, threw further light on the history of the castle and produced a remarkable collection of finds. Some of these are on public display at Cavan County Museum for the first time.
The exhibition presents the extensive history and the artefacts through a mix of printed graphic display panels, interactives, audio visual and manequins.
+353 86 2501 791
16 Oakdown Road,
Dublin D14 Y593, Ireland
FIDI. Fellow of the Institute of Designers in Ireland. © 2021 Martin Gaffney. All Rights Reserved
Space for Culture
Main Street, Killeshandra, Co. Cavan